THE STORY OF LA UNIDAD LATINA
La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated was established on February 19, 1982 in order to address the shortcomings of academic institutions in meeting and addressing the needs of Latino students in higher education. Founded at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated primarily seeks to take a leadership role in meeting the needs of the Latino community through cultural awareness, community service, and promotion of the Latino culture and people.
From its inception, La Unidad Latina has maintained a firm commitment to the empowerment and betterment of all Latinos. To accomplish this goal, La Fraternidad addresses various key areas of concern to the Latino community, beginning with a concentration on academic achievement, community service, and cultural awareness.
Within the academic realm, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated continually strives to increase the representation of Latino faculty and students in higher education. Realizing that recruitment is only half of the solution, La Fraternidad places strong emphasis on academic programs that aid in the retention, guidance and improvement of Latino students in institutions of higher learning.
La Unidad Latina is committed to developing its members and peers into mature, intelligent, socially active, and culturally conscious individuals, who, via mutual support, can excel academically and professionally. La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated is looking for individuals with vision, determination, pride, and a commitment to accomplish the goals it has set for itself.
THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF LA UNIDAD LATINA
1. Hermano William Barba — Sophomore, Engineering
2. Hermano Dennis DeJesus — Sophomore, Pre-Medicine
3. Hermano Hernando Londoño — Sophomore, Engineering
4. Hermano Jessie Luis — Sophomore, Engineering
5. Hermano Samuel Ramos — Senior, Engineering
6. Hermano Tomas Rincon — Sophomore, Engineering
7. Hermano Edwin Rivera — Junior, Engineering
8. Hermano Mario Rivera — Junior, Engineering
9. Hermano Victor Rodriguez — Senior, Economics
10. Hermano Victor Silva — Sophomore, Pre-Medicine
11. Hermano Jose Torres — Junior, Pre-Medicine
12. Hermano Henry Villareal — Cornell Faculty Advisor
13. Hermano Jim Ziebell — Cornell Administrator
* Honorary Founder: Hermano Angel Montañez (Rest in Peace)